Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A funny story for art professors who've finally finished their grading:

When my husband worked in the registrar's office of the San Francisco Art Institute back in the 80's, visiting artist Mark Pauline (of Survival Research Laboratories fame) came in with his grade roster at the end of the semester. It was partially burnt and saturated with grease. My husband noticed, though, that there weren't any grades on the document. He dutifully informed Mark that he had to put grades in those little boxes. Mark looked at him incredulously and said "but I don't know who the hell these people are." My husband told Mark that these were his students, and that he had to give them grades. Mark walked out of the office muttering to himself, then returned 5 minutes later with the grade roster in hand. My husband looked down the list and saw them: B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B.